So far in this blog series, I’ve focused on salon and spa services and trends more than beauty tips. Maybe I was holding out on purpose so I can make sure you are paying attention at just the right time…now…SUMMER! Summer is the absolute best time to astound you with my preventative tips and product information to save your beautiful hair and skin by practicing the right kind of protection from summer sun and summer fun. As a Joseph Michael’s client, quality is obviously important to you. This summer, we are here to help you keep your frizzies at bay, your curls springier, your color brighter or richer and your skin healthy, fresh and glowing.
Note: Your texture specialist (that’s me) is ready to provide for you the 2 most popular hair care services in the summertime: Keratin Smoothing (to tame untidy tufts) or The American Wave (for adding beachy bounce to limp locks.)
Now, on to the good stuff…
Let’s start with our obsession with water-play this time of year. Chlorine and her sister chemicals in swimming pools actually crystallize in the hair shaft–requiring a special combination of treatments to remove them. Taking the following precautions will keep your naturally thin or delicate hair from becoming brittle, and keep the green (yuck) tint out of your beautiful blonde locks.
- Start wet! Having moisturized hair and skin to begin with is your best bet this summer. Products to maximize hydration—to literally help your hair and skin retain water—is especially recommended this time of year. Wetting your hair with water thoroughly before diving in pool, lake, or ocean water will keep your hair from drinking the chemicals or impurities all in one gulp. Think of a sponge, and you get the picture.
- Wear a coat! For regular swimmers, we used to recommend coating the hair with a thick, water-resistant conditioner or balm to keep the bad stuff out. That was before leave-in conditioners were created. The good news? New leave-in products not only act as humectants and protectants, but also add essential nutrients. The Kérastase Thermiques are all good, protective leave-in treatments. With NectarThermique for dry hair, Ciment Thermique for damage repair and Chroma Thermique for color protection; there is one for every hair type!
- Strip down! Chelating shampoos gently purify hair of the residue from heavy conditioners, styling products (“cosmetic weight”) and environmental impurities that can affect color, sheen and manageability. These shampoos don’t actually “strip” the hair of the pool chemicals, but have been shown to reduce damage if used after swimming. It’s important not to overuse clarifying shampoos, so follow manufacturer directions and alternate with daily, moisturizing shampoos.
Try Sunday Shampoo by Bumble and bumble for a weekly detox to rid hair of product residue, hard water minerals and pollutants.
- Decorate your head! Designer bathing caps are back and as colorful as they were in the 1960’s! They can protect the hair completely if worn properly. Adding a leave-in conditioner or sealer to the hair under a bathing cap is even better! Not swimming? Accessorizing with hats is a great way to look glamorous anytime, anywhere while shading and saving both your hair and your face. Kate Hudson recently claimed a wide-brimmed hat as one of her 5 “must-have’s” this summer – with In Style magazine.
- Sunscreen is not just for your skin anymore. Our stylists are happy to help you choose what is right for you from the wide selection of before, during, and after-sun care products to protect your hair from sun and swim damage. Most are available in small-sized bottles so they’re easy to carry with you to the pool, beach or wherever you go this summer.
Kerastase Reflection shampoos, conditioners and leave-in thermique have UV absorbers and anti-oxidants for ultimate color protection and defense!
Speaking of your skin, we don’t have to tell you that the summer sun can wreak havoc. Joseph Michael’s Head Esthetician, Margaret Odroniec, answered some important questions that can help us maintain a “healthy” glow!
What is best sunscreen we can use?
“Zinc Oxide sunscreen (my favorite is by Epicuren) can absorb the ultraviolet radiation of the sun and protect skin from sunburn and other damaging effects of UV radiation. It’s a good choice for any type of skin.”
What is your advice for the best Protective/Preventative skin care for sun?
“Protecting your skin from the sun is a must! Over time the sun’s ultraviolet radiation can cause wrinkles, discoloration, freckles, age spots, growths, such as moles, and even skin cancer. To protect your skin, you should follow these easy, but important, suggestions:”
Avoid the sun between 10am and 2pm.
Use a generous amount of sunscreen and re-apply frequently (every 2 hours or more if swimming or sweating.)
Use a sunscreen that has both UVA and UVB coverage (zinc oxide.)
What is the best way to care for a sunburn…if we didn’t follow the rules above?
“If you’ve over-exposed your skin to the sun and end up with a sunburn, the best product to use is aloe vera. I recommend an aloe vera plant or Aloe Vera Calming Gel by Epicuren. Aloe vera causes blood vessels to constrict and is very calming. Beware of drug store aloe vera products; most have alcohol in them and will do little good. Also, replenish your fluids by drinking plenty of water. Being well-hydrated will help burns heal better. To prevent drying, apply a hydrating moisturizer as often as needed.”[/box]
Char Panico Muffitt, author and educator, is Joseph Michael’s Hair color & Texture Specialist. In addition to happily serving clientele, she is presenting her PERSONALITY POWER image seminar to groups all over Chicago. You can view her detailed bio, along with all of our amazing talent, here.
logo by Dan Paterno of PaternoGroup